YALC is the UK’s Young Adult Literature Convention - a celebration of the very best young adult books and authors. YALC takes place each year as part of the London Film and Comic Con.
The first YALC took place at LFCC in 2014 as Malorie Blackman’s major project as Waterstones Children’s Laureate 2013-2015. In 2018, YALC will return to celebrate its fifth birthday, bringing together even more fantastic authors, publishers and readers for three packed days of YA events, writing workshops, book signings, book-themed activities and more!
CHECK OUT THE SCHEDULE!
The schedule is still being confirmed but the Workshops for 2018 are now live - click here to view them
|We know how creative our YALC fans are so we thought we could put it to good use and get you involved in designing this year’s YALC Event T-shirt. We want a vibrant design that includes the YALC logo and helps is celebrate the events 5th Birthday.
The instructions and information detailed here form part of the rules.
1. The competition is open to all residents of the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man except Showmasters (YALC) employees, their close relatives or anyone connected with the competition. Proof of identity and eligibility may be required.
2. Anyone under the age of 16 must have parental consent for their entry and all communications must go through the guardian.
3. Entrants must not be professional designers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their works.
4. Entry for your T Shirt design opens on April 5th 2018. Entry closes on May 4th 2018 at 18:00. Entries received outside of this timeframe will not be considered, so please do not wait until the last minute to send in your entry. Entries will not be returned so please remember to keep a copy. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
5. To enter artists should upload a high res digital image (300dpi up to 25mb) of their work for judging.
6. All entries must use no more than a 3 colour pallet (red, white & black), on a background colour from the options given (http://www.mygildan.com/store/eu/content/genericContent.jsp?contentId=marketing-tools-gildan).
7. The artwork should be a maximum width of 28cm, max height 40cm. (You can use our template). It needs to be an illustrative design not a photograph. Only the first submission will count, any subsequent entries will be disregarded.
9. All entries will be judged on the following criteria:
10. The winning entry will be made into t shirts for YALC 2018, which will be pre-sold for the event.
12. Entries must not contain defamatory, obscene, offensive, or any other unsuitable material. Entries must be suitable to be broadcast, published or used online by YALC for audiences of all ages
13. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. You grant Showmasters a non-exclusive right to use your entry and the right to change or edit your contribution for operational and editorial reasons.
14. By entering, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these rules and Showmasters reserves the right to exclude any entry from the competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if Showmasters has reason to believe that an entrant has breached these rules.
15. Showmasters reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter any of the rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
16. If the winner is unable to be contacted after reasonable attempts have been made, Showmasters reserves the right to either offer the prize to a runner up, or to re-offer the prize in any future competition.
17. Showmasters, its sub-contractors, subsidiaries, agencies and/or any other organisation associated with this competition cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any server, Internet access, system or otherwise which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded. Please be aware that sending personal data by email may not be secure as email messages can be intercepted. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.
18. These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales. This competition is administered by Showmasters
19. All correspondence with artists will be via email unless specifically requested otherwise.
20. The copyright for all entered images will remain the property of the artist, but it is a condition of entry that the artist or their representatives agree unconditionally that Showmasters may reproduce any exhibited works, free of charge, for the purposes of marketing, promotion, merchandise, discussion and education in direct connection with the YALC, in all media worldwide including the Event program and subsequent publications, posters, prints, postcards, the internet and within television documentaries, and may license these specific, limited rights to others only for the same purposes.
21. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence can be entered into. Artists should be aware that all works are judged on an equal and anonymous basis and that there is no segregated judging by region or country.
22. The judging panel will be formed from YALC Working Group members